We are looking to hire an experienced and talented mid-level planner.
Are you passionate about helping communities grow, redevelop, and preserve natural systems? Do you want to craft innovative planning and design solutions that lead to improving the physical, social, environmental, and economic health of a neighborhood, downtown, community, or region? Do you want to work in an environment that fosters collaboration between planners, landscape architects, urban designers, civil engineers, economists, and other leaders?
We are currently looking to hire a full-time planner with 5-10 years of professional planning experience who can manage and contribute to projects that facilitate inclusive and equitable community and stakeholder input and create award-winning plans that are action-oriented and lead to successful implementation. We’re seeking a planner who brings a range of skills, including writing and editing, mapping and graphic presentation, public involvement, and a highly organized approach to tasks and people management.
A Day in the Life
Collaborating. Brainstorming. Multi-tasking.
For this position, you would manage multiple projects of medium size and complexity, primarily in the State of Indiana and surrounding regions. You would serve as task-lead in support of more complex projects. The work entails interfacing closely with clients; overseeing parallel tracks of work by staff teams, consultants, and subconsultants; and developing, monitoring, and maintaining budgets and schedules. You would lead proposal writing efforts for new pursuits, build relationships with existing and future clients, mentor junior staff, and ensure quality control review.
Our planning team works on a wide range of projects, at a variety of scales, all over the region, and throughout the United States. Our award winning work includes comprehensive plans, neighborhood plans, ordinances, transportation and corridor plans, resiliency plans, redevelopment plans, downtown plans, mixed use and innovation districts, and everything in between. We are known for our strong approach to equitable planning and inclusive community engagement. Our planning team works closely with the firm's design and landscape architecture practices.
We work in concert with our clients and frequently meet in their communities. Regular day travel and evening meetings are required, as well as limited overnight trips.
- Educational background and/or work training and experience in policy and planning for urban, suburban, and rural areas; comprehensive planning; downtowns; economic development; neighborhoods; corridors; and transit-oriented development. Urban design, placemaking, and site planning skills and experience are a plus.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Skills in a range of research and analysis of data, precedents, and best practices in support of planning, urban design, regulatory, and built projects.
- Project management and organization skills with proven ability to successfully manage multidisciplinary planning and urban design teams.
- Experience in identifying and pursuing business development and marketing leads a plus.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud, Microsoft Office Suite and ArcGIS are required. Proficiency with SketchUp and AutoCAD are a plus, but not required.
- A key component to success in this role is the ability to collaborate and work with the existing planning team, multi-task, and pivot between varying tasks and projects with ease.
- Spanish fluency is a plus, but not required.
Education, Expertise, Certifications
- Preferred candidates for this position will have between 5-10 years of experience, ideally with at least three years of private sector consulting experience.
- Master’s degree in planning, urban design, or related field from an accredited program. (additional experience in lieu of master’s degree will be accepted).
- AICP accreditation required, or in progress.
Salary and Benefits
REA offers a flexible work environment and a comprehensive benefits package. The salary for this full-time position is dependent on qualifications.
How to Apply
If you would like to be considered as a potential candidate for this position, please send an email with a cover letter stating your interest and qualifications, a resume, two to three writing samples of not more than four pages, two to three graphic samples, and contact information for three references. All materials should be in PDF format and the total size of all files should not exceed 20 MB.
REA is an equal opportunity employer (EO/AA/VEV/Disabled employer) and encourages women and minorities to apply for this position. Email responses to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line. No phone calls, please.