We are seeking a collaborative and creative planner.
Are you passionate about helping communities grow, develop, redevelop, and preserve natural systems? Do you want to craft innovative planning and design solutions that lead to improving the physical, social, environmental, and economic health of a neighborhood, downtown, community, or region? Do you want to work in an environment that places a high value on collaboration with other planners, designers, civil engineers, economists, and other leaders?
If so, we are looking for someone like you to join our team.
We are currently seeking an experienced, full-time planner with 5-10 years of professional planning experience. This person can lead and manage projects, facilitate inclusive and equitable community and stakeholder input, and create award-winning plans that are action orientated and lead to strong implementation. We’re seeking a planner who brings a range of skills, including writing and editing, mapping and graphic presentation, public involvement coordination and a highly organized approach to task and people management.
REA (Rundell Ernstberger Associates) is an interdisciplinary urban design, planning, and landscape architecture firm with a history of over 40 years providing innovative planning and design. We’re committed to making our world a better place. That starts with celebrating the unique identity, culture, and history of each community. We make space for connections, for building new relationships and deeper engagement – and for improving the health of people and the planet. Our work reflects who we are and what our communities can become.
A day in the life of a planner: Collaborative. Exciting. Purposeful. Contributor.
As a Planner at REA, you would manage multiple projects of medium size and complexity, primarily in the State of Indiana and surrounding region. You would serve as task lead in support of more complex projects working with a Senior Planner and Planning Partner. The work entails interfacing closely with clients; overseeing work by staff and subconsultants; and developing, monitoring, and maintaining budgets and schedules. You would assist in proposal writing efforts for new pursuits, and mentor staff and ensure quality control review on tasks related to your projects.
The REA planning group works on a wide range of projects, at a variety of scales, within our Midwest region and throughout the country. Our award-winning work includes comprehensive plans, neighborhood plans, ordinances, transportation and corridor plans, economic plans, redevelopment plans, downtown plans, and mixed use and innovation districts. We are known for our strong approach to equitable planning and inclusive community engagement. We believe in developing realistic plans that are implementable and achievable for our clients.
We believe that interdisciplinary collaboration makes our work and the communities we serve, better. Our planning, urban design, and landscape architecture practices work together on each planning project to strongly incorporate both design and policy into every plan we create. Our community engagement techniques are on the forefront of the profession. While we often partner with consultants, we typically lead engagement efforts in-house with our team. We employ a variety of software platforms, including ArcGIS mapping software, CommunityViz, and Community Analyst, and other innovative engagement techniques. Some travel will be required depending on the project need.
- Educational background and/or work training and experience in policy and planning for urban, suburban, and rural areas; comprehensive planning; downtowns; economic development; neighborhoods; corridors; and transit-oriented development.
- Urban design, placemaking, and site planning skills and experience are a plus.
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills
- Experience in research and data analysis, precedents, and best practices in support of planning, urban design, regulatory, and built projects.
- Project management and organization skills with proven ability to successfully manage multidisciplinary planning and urban design teams.
- Experience in identifying and pursuing business development and marketing leads a plus.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, and ArcGIS is required.
- Proficiency in SketchUp and Lumion is a plus, but not required.
- A key component to success in this role is the ability to collaborate and work with the planning team, multi-task, and to pivot between varying tasks and projects with ease.
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
Education, Expertise, Certifications
- Preferred candidates for this position will have between 5-10 years of experience, ideally with at least three years of private sector consulting experience.
- AICP accreditation preferred, in progress, or willing to become certified/licensed in related field.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Planning, Urban Design, or related field from an accredited program
What We Offer
- Competitive salary and comprehensive benefits
- Flexibility in the workplace and your schedule, including equipment to work from home 1-2days a week
- Opportunities for professional development through internal and external trainings, mentorship and professional associations
- Ability to work from our offices in Indianapolis, IN and Louisville, KY
- We are also open to remote work arrangements
How to Apply
If you would like to be considered as a potential candidate for this position, please send an email with a cover letter stating your interest and qualifications, a resume, work samples, and contact information for three references; all materials should bein PDF format and the total size of all files should not exceed 9MB. REA is committed to diversity, inclusivity, and collaboration. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, and those with disabilities - to apply. REA is an equal opportunity employer (EO/AA/VEV/Disabled employer). Email responses to: email@example.com. Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line.